TAs and Tutors

Q: I would like to work as a Student TA or Peer Tutor for the Chinese program. How do I apply for this position?
A: The screening of applicants usually starts one semester ahead of the actual appointment. Please contact the Chinese Program Coordinator with the following information:
– Your full name
– Williams ID
– Class year
– your credentials (explain your Chinese learning history if you are a non-native speaker, or your educational background in Chinese speaking areas if you are a native speaker)
– courses you feel confident being a TA or Tutor for
– up to how many hours can you work (up to 2.5, 5, 7.5, or 10 hours per week)
– whether you are also applying for or have been offered TA jobs from another department (and how many hours you plan to work for the other department)

Q: What qualities do you look for when screening TA or Tutor applicants?
A: We would like the candidates to possess the following qualities:
– standard pronunciation in Chinese
– strong sense of responsibility
– good communication skills in English and Chinese
– time management skills
– eagerness to help peers
– strong work ethic

Q: Does the Chinese Program prefer Chinese native-speakers for the Student TA positions?
A: No, we welcome applications from both native and non-native Chinese speakers. Typically, approximately half of our appointed student TAs are non-native speakers who have studied Chinese in our program.

Q: What responsibilities do I have as a Student TA for the Chinese Program?
A: Your responsibilities vary with different professors. Typically, Student TAs are expected to hold weekly one-on-one practice sessions with individual students, grade homework, and/or hold weekly office hours for students.

Q: How many hours do I need to work as a Student TA?
A: Depending on your schedule, you can work either part-time (2.5, 5, or 7.5 hours a week), or full-time (10 hours a week). According to the regulations in the college, if you hold one full-time TA appointment with one department, you may not be eligible to accept any other TA offers. Technically, two half-time appointments in two departments are allowed. However, the college does not encourage this type of arrangement for reasons of instructional quality.

Q: What is the pay rate for working as a Student TA?
A:  Please check with the Office of the Dean of the Faculty for current salary amounts for student TAs.

Q: If my application to be a Student TA has been accepted or rejected by the department for one semester, do I need to re-apply for the next semester if I am still interested?
A: Yes. Because of constant changes in students’ personal plans or schedules, we require new applications for Student TA positions each semester. However, if you are re-applying, you just need to send a very brief email message to the Chinese Program Coordinator to reactivate your previous application.

Q: How can I become a Peer Tutor?
A: The Chinese Program Coordinator sends a list of qualified tutors for our program to the Academic Resource Center (located in Paresky). Let the Chinese Program Coordinator know if you would like to be put on this list. Students in our program who are in need of extra help will then be referred to you either by the Center or by instructors in our program. For more information, please consult the Academic Resource Center about the Peer Tutoring Program.

Q: What are the responsibilities of a Peer Tutor?
A: The student chooses his or her own Peer Tutor from a list of candidates provided by the Peer Tutor Program at the Academic Resource Center. The student and the Peer Tutor should work out a plan together for the Peer Tutor to help the student. You may also consult the course professor on how to most effectively use the tutoring time to help the student.

Q: If I have been hired as a Student TA for the Chinese program, can I still work as a Peer Tutor?
A: If you have been hired as a full-time Student TA for the Chinese program, then you cannot work as a Peer Tutor. If you have been hired as a part-time Student TA for the Chinese program, then you can work as a Peer Tutor for the courses that you are not a TA for. Please also check with the Academic Resource Center about the their regulations.

Q: How do I get paid as a tutor?
A: You will be paid at an hourly rate by the college based on the hours you have logged with the student.

Q: I am a first-year student. Can I work as a Student TA or Peer Tutor?
A: No.

Q: I am an international student. Can I work as a Student TA or Peer Tutor?
A: Yes, most international students are allowed to work in these capacities. However, a foreign exchange student cannot work as a Student TA or Peer Tutor.